Jun 13, 2011
This seven day meal plan is for all the new moms out there, just like me, who are finding it hard to sit down and eat healthy during the first few weeks with a newborn. Over the past few weeks I have been doing my best to make the freshly prepared foods that I adored before pregnancy, but with little time on my hands I’ve been forced to get creative. On some days, all I have time to do is heat up a TV dinner and toss it on top of some pre-washed salad greens. But I feel good knowing that even on these days, I’m doing my best to ramp up my intake of naturally restorative foods. Fresh foods including fruit, uncooked veggies and salads are naturally restorative and cleansing foods. You might be surprised how even gradual upgrades to your diet of this kind can lift your mood, your energy and help your figure. I have found that when I eat better, I usually always feel better too. While there is nothing super fancy here, sometimes it’s just nice to have some quick ideas in front of you to keep the candy bars and bags of chips for lunch to a minimum.
Goals: Postpartum Rejuvenating Diet For Weight Loss
This seven day menu plan is based on the following themes:
- Easy to prepare meals I defaulted to several Kashi frozen entrées here. I really like the flavors and quality of the meals.
- An increased intake of naturally restorative (and naturally slimming) foods
- Reduced intake of foods that are believed to slow your bod’s rejuvenating and ultimately slimming work including soy, dairy, refined flours and sugars
- Foods that are breastfeeding friendly
Note: A rough calorie guide is included to help beauties new to clean eating become more aware of portion sizes. While calorie counting is so yesterday, portion awareness is always in vogue. Each day on this plan, calories will average ~1400. Use this as a rough guide. Your individual calorie needs will vary depending on your weight, activity level, and also on how much you’re breastfeeding. Breastfeeding beauties should add an additional 300 calories per day to this meal plan in the form of raw, steamed or roasted veggies and lean proteins if desired. Really try and differentiate between true hunger and emotional hunger as a way to find the right amount of food to satisfy you each day. Maybe it’s just me, but with all the post-pregnancy hormones I’ve found myself craving more comfort foods.
Grocery List: Postpartum Rejuvenating Diet For Weight Loss
- 6 navel oranges
- 3 apples
- 1 lemon
- 1 loaf sprouted grain bread*
- 1 package brown rice wraps*
- 1 dozen organic eggs
- 1 container pre-made guacamole
- 4 Lara Bars or Raw Revolution Bars
- 2 Kashi Lemongrass Coconut Chicken Frozen Entrées
- 2 Kashi Sweet & Sour Chicken Frozen Entrées
- 2 Kashi Pesto Pasta Primavera Frozen Entrées
- 1 Kashi Black Bean Mango Frozen Entrées
- 2 Kashi Spicy Black Bean Enchilada Frozen Entrées
- 1 package fresh arugula
- 3 packages fresh baby spinach
- 1 box mesclun lettuce
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bag pre-shredded cabbage
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 3 big handfuls of snow peas
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- 3 medium yellow squash
- 1 hot house cucumber
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 ears of fresh corn
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 box probiotics (I recommend Dr. Ohhira’s brand)
* Sprouted grain bread and brown rice tortillas are located in your grocer’s freezer. I recommend Food For Life brand. Can’t find sprouted grain toast? Use good quality whole wheat bread and toast it well.
Pantry Items: Postpartum Rejuvenating Diet For Weight Loss
- 1 jar of salsa
- sea salt + pepper
- red pepper flakes
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar almond butter or organic peanut butter
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 1 box quinoa (I like Bob’s Red Mill brand)
Postpartum Rejuvenating Diet For Weight Loss
Glass of water with lemon and a probiotic.
Breakfast (~200 calories each)
Enjoy one of the following for breakfast:
- 2 navel oranges (3 days)
- Three eggs sautéed in water and seasoned with sea salt and pepper (2 days)
- 1 piece sprouted grain toast with 2 tablespoons guacamole, 1 teaspoon olive oil, dash of red pepper flakes (1 day)
- Rustic Garden Vegetable Oven Baked Frittata (1 day)
Note: 1 small cup of coffee ok with breakfast. (Upgrade options: Decaf coffee or tea).
Mid Morning Tea and Snack (~200 calories)
Enjoy herbal tea with lemon along with one of the following snacks:
- 1 sliced apple with 1 tablespoon of almond butter (3 days)
- 1 Lara bar or Raw Revolution bar (4 days)
Lunch (~350-400 calories each)
- Kashi Frozen Entrée – Lemongrass Coconut Chicken (2 days). Enjoy this entrée on top of 2 cups of arugula salad topped with 1 cup raw broccoli, small handful snow peas and 2 diced asparagus spears. Dressing for the arugula salad is the creamy lemon grass dressing from the Lemongrass Coconut Chicken entrée (there is a generous portion).
- Kashi Frozen Entrée - Sweet & Sour Chicken (2 days). Enjoy this entrée on top of 2 cups of pre-washed baby spinach salad topped with ½ sliced red pepper and small handful snow peas. Dressing for the baby spinach salad is the creamy sweet and sour dressing from the chicken entrée (there is a generous portion).
- Kashi Frozen Entrée – Pesto Pasta Primavera (2 days). Enjoy this entrée on top of 2 cups of pre-washed mixed green lettuce topped with 1 large handful of shredded carrots and 1 cup sliced yellow squash. Sautée (or quickly steam) carrots and yellow squash if desired. Dressing for the mixed green salad is the creamy pesto from the pasta primavera entrée (there is a generous portion).
- Kashi Frozen Entrée – Black Bean Mango (1 day). Enjoy this entrée on top of 2 cups of pre-washed mixed green lettuce topped with 1 cup sliced orange bell pepper. Dressing for the mixed green salad is the mango sauce from the entrée (there is a generous portion).
Afternoon Snack (~200 calories each)
- ½ orange bell pepper with 2 tablespoons of guacamole (1 day)
- Toast with 1 tablespoon of guacamole and red hot pepper chili flakes ( 3 days)
- ~1 cup cucumber slices with guacamole (3 days)
Dinner (~400 calories each)
- Spring Veggie Stir fry (3 days) Sauté half of a medium summer squash (sliced), 1 cup snow peas, ¼ cup shredded carrots and 4 cherry tomatoes until slightly soft and browned on the edges. Toss veggies with ½ cup tomato sauce and place on top of 1 piece of sprouted grain toast. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Kashi Frozen Entrée – Spicy Black Bean Enchilada (2 days) Enjoy this entrée with 2 handfuls pre-washed baby spinach with 1 ear raw corn (kernels removed) and 1 cup pre-shredded cabbage
- Brown Rice Wrap with Sautéed Cherry Tomatoes (2 days) Bring 1/4 cup dry quinoa and 1/2 cup of water to a boil then reduce to a simmer until water evaporates and quinoa is fully cooked. Sauté 1 cup cherry tomatoes with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper and 1 medium scallion (diced) in a frying pan. When tomatoes are slightly soft, remove from pan and set aside. While pan is still warm, place one brown rice wrap in the pan and warm it up slightly. Remove wrap from pan and place tomatoes, 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, and a handful of chopped parsley and a half cup of baby spinach leaves on top.