Health Quest Podcast
Health Quest Podcast 264
Glutathione is the critical master antioxidant and liver detox agent.
Excitement is growing about the use of glutathione as a critical nutrient for human health. While we have understood much about the importance of glutathione, it has been difficult to deliver as a nutritional supplement by oral delivery. Orally it seems glutathione has not been effective because it does not get into the system through the gut. That has been frustrating for nutritional scientists. It’s hard to study nutrients if they have to be injected. Injections are proving to be an effective way to deliver glutathione but this is not what most of us need. What most of us need is an effective way to get glutathione into the system through supplementation.
In this interview Natural Pharmacist Ross Pelton will discuss the role of glutathione as the body’s master antioxidant. He will explain very clearly why glutathione is a critical liver detox agent. As part of this discussion, Ross will sound the alarm about the toxins in our lives. This can be an overwhelming aspect of this topic. The problem is so pervasive. The positive message that we hear from Ross is that there are effective ways that we can reduce our risk and improve our health and longevity in the process with glutathione.
Glutathione is the body’s “Master Antioxidant.” It is used by every cell in the human body, and it’s absolutely vital for hepatic function. Compared to all other organs, glutathione is found at its highest concentrations in the liver. That’s because liver cells rely on antioxidant glutathione during normal detoxification activities.*
This interview has three basic themes which are covered in some detail,
- We begin our discussion considering the environment of chemical toxicity. Some of these toxins are impossible to avoid. But some other very powerful toxins are readily available to us and consumers use them frequently. Such as tobacco smoke, alcohol, pesticides, weed killers, acetaminophen and so on and on. We have choices about many things we put into our bodies. We reduce exposure when and how we can.
- The second part of our discussion centers on glutathione. We discuss it’s role in human health as the master antioxidant and preeminent liver detoxifier. There is a lot of interest in creating oral delivery forms of glutathione. As the master antioxidant the effects of low levels of glutathione profound effects on our health and longevity. Conversely higher levels of glutathione are associated with better health, immunity and longevity. One study reported that people taking ME-3 had a remarkable 49% increase in the ratio of reduced to oxidized glutathione.
- There is also a lot of interest in intravenous delivery and even by suppository. Ross discusses the work of Dr. David Perlmutter who has amazing video of patients with Parkinson Disease (PD) and the before and after effects of intravenous glutathione therapy. CLICK HERE to view these videos. As amazing as that treatment system seems, it is not necessary or even available to the rest of us.
- Part 3 of the interview where we discuss a very specific bacteria strain called Lactobacillus Fermentum ME-3. Reg Activ is the supplement that provides ME-3. This is the only bacteria shown to have the effect of producing glutathion in the gut. ME-3 has been studied for years. Ross will discuss some of the results of the clinical studies.
Ross has published a great article on this topic in the Townsend Letter. Here are a few excerpts:
“Glutathione is one of the most important antioxidants in the body. An increasing number of studies link glutathione depletion with an increase in oxidative stress and a greater incidence of disease and accelerated aging. For example, reduced plasma glutathione levels have been shown to represent an increased risk for cardiovascular disease. Glutathione depletion has also been shown to be a primary cause of the neurodegeneration that leads to Parkinson’s disease. Similarly, increased oxidative stress in Alzheimer’s disease has been attributed to decreased levels of glutathione in the brain.
The Benefits of Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3
After discovering that Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 expresses strong antioxidant activity, follow-up studies began to reveal that ME-3 produces a wide range of additional health benefits. ME-3’s multiple benefits fall within four categories: antioxidant activity, immune system support, anti-inflammatory activity, and detoxification. Consequently, scientists have been studying ME-3 for the past 20 years, and its unique health-promoting benefits are summarized below.
- Promotes Cardiovascular Health: Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 has a beneficial effect on several cardiovascular risk factors.
- Enhances Detoxification: Glutathione is a critical regulator of detoxification in every cell of the body, but especially in the liver and kidneys. Glutathione detoxifies toxins in food, heavy metals, air pollutants, pharmaceuticals, and a wide range of other toxins.
- Promotes Liver Health: The liver is the primary organ for detoxification. There are two main phases of detoxification in the liver, which are called Phase 1 and Phase 2 detoxification pathways. A significant number of free radicals are generated during Phase 1, which can result in liver damage if adequate antioxidants (especially glutathione) are not available to quench them.
- Reduces Inflammation: Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 has been shown to significantly inhibit levels of several key inflammatory markers, including glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c), high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP), and interleukin 6 (IL-6).
- Promotes Healthy Bacterial Balance: ME-3 produces significant amounts of short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), hydrogen peroxide, and nitric oxide.37 These postbiotic™ metabolites function in several ways to promote the growth of beneficial bacteria and suppress the growth of pathogens, which help maintain a healthy microbiome.
- Detoxifies Organophosphate Pesticides: Organophosphates were developed in the 1940s as highly toxic biological warfare agents. Today, they are one of the most widely used pesticides worldwide. In addition to being sprayed on agricultural food crops, they occur in many pesticide and insecticide products commonly used on residential lawns and gardens
- Immune Function: Lymphocytes are a critical component of the immune system. Their primary job is to defend us against bacteria, viruses, and other foreign invaders. When faced with a challenge, the body dramatically increases the production of lymphocytes to fight the infection. Glutathione is required for the production and function of lymphocytes.” End Excerpt. Read the full text here.
RegActiv is a family of 3 products that all contain ME3 bacteria supported by system specific nutrients. You can choose the one that reflects your goals and challenges. There Detox and Liver Health, Immune and Vitality and Cardio Wellness. Remember that RegActiv does not replace a digestive probiotic. Ross recommends Dr. Ohhira’s probiotic and you can listen to our interview where we discuss this unique product. Learn more at the RegActiv – FAQ page.
Ross Pelton, RPh, Ph.D, CCN
Ross Pelton is the Natural Pharmacist. He received his BS degree in pharmacy from the University of Wisconsin. He also has a PhD in psychology and is a certified clinical nutritionist (CCN). In October 1999, Ross was named as one of the Top 50 Most Influential Pharmacists in America by American Druggist magazine for his work in natural medicine. He is the author of ten books and numerous online health seminars. Ross is currently the scientific director for Essential Formulas. The link to his blog and personal website is http://naturalpharmacist.net.