Jun 05, 2013
Do you take probiotics?
I’ve been taking probiotics every day the past few years and I’ve noticed a huge difference in how they make me feel.
Three years ago I heard about Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics from my integrative medical doctors and other nutritionists – surprisingly they all recommended Dr. Ohhira’s brand to me…so I started taking them and haven’t turned back since. It’s been over three years and I can’t go a day without them. So when my clients and readers ask me what probiotics I like…I always respond with these fabulous ‘good bacteria’ probiotics that have helped me tremendously.
Why do I love them?
O let me count the ways.
First of all – these probiotics are cultured vs. freeze-dried probiotics you’d see sitting on the shelf at your local store. These babies contain all 12 strands of probiotics who are all eating organic and living together so they ‘play nice’ in your intestines. I take one in the morning and one at night on an empty stomach, at least 2-3 hours after meals.
So, what is a probiotic anyway and why do we need them?
Probiotics are also known as ‘friendly flora’ or good bacteria and are a crucial part of our immune systems. Their job is to keep bad bacteria and yeast (Candida) from growing in our intestinal tracts.
Ideally, we should have 100 trillion of these good bacteria lining our intestines but if you’ve ever taken antibiotics or other drugs- you probably have far less than this. Why is that? Well, it’s something I just learned the last few years since I was on a ton of antibiotics when I was younger. Antibiotics aren’t able to distinguish between good and bad bacteria in our bodies so they kill off infections (bacteria) in our tissues and blood- but they also kill off the good bacteria in our digestive tract. And if we don’t replace that good bacteria by eating high-quality foods that provide probiotics and prebiotics (fibrous food for the good bacteria so that they can grow and multiply) you’ll end up like ME with a huge bacterial imbalance in your intestines called Dysbiosis. Dysbiosis is an overgrowth of bad bacteria and yeast in your ‘gut’ and leads to weight gain, sugar cravings and bloating. Our typical American diets are filled with sugar, processed foods and toxic additives – all of which contribute to this imbalance in our bodies.
To maintain a high level of probiotics in our intestines, I eat clean (nothing processed) and include 100% organic healthy fats, lean proteins, veggies and whole grains!
My doctors recommended I take these probiotics with digestive enzymes before I eat anything. I use Digest Gold and take 2 capsules before meals and snacks to help my food get digested and so that large molecules of food don’t end up in my gut- leading to Leaky Gut.
I love the Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics because Dr. Ohhira himself developed this revolutionary probiotic (a supplement containing live beneficial organisms) with a powerful bacterial strain proven to destroy pathogens in our guts. One of the difficulties in developing foods and supplements (such as yogurt) that contain live bacteria is that the bacteria may no longer be alive by the time you use the product due to improper packaging, exposing the bacteria to high heat during processing or extended storage time without properly nourishing the bacteria. To ensure the potency of their bacteria, Dr. Ohhira developed a protective shell that keeps bacteria alive and free from harmful pathogens. After just a few weeks on these probiotics, I felt amazing and so do my clients. We never get colds and our immune systems are at their prime, thanks to these tiny probiotics. These probiotics are so good that I put both of my parents on them – they’re in their 60′s but very healthy and I want to make sure their immune systems are strong and ready to fight any pathogens that they may come in contact with through their food, environment, etc. I have them taking two of these probiotics a day, just like me.
To order Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics, use this is code: Amie6 for Free First Class Mail shipping and a Free Sample Size of their Kampuku Soap with any order.
I also take Dr. Ohhira’s Professional Formula. This product is the same as the Original it is just fermented two additional years and is stronger. Dr. Ohhira recommends this for those of you who may be dealing with a specific health condition like IBS. It helps with my IGA Deficiency and keeps me from getting stomach infections and colds every year. I took this formula for my C-Diff Colitis two years ago and I’ve started taking it again for a bacteria infection I had in my small intestine.
The checkout code above: Amie6 works for any product on the Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic website including the Digest Gold so feel free to browse and take a look to see at the vast array of products!
Overwhelmed? Don’t be. You’re probably wondering what you can start to do today for healthy ‘gut’ flora, right?
Easy, peasy folks!
- Stock your pantry and fridge with healthier options. Toss sugars and use stevia, throw away white rice and enjoy brown rice or quinoa and taper off from processed flour products. Most important, add lots of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables every day.
- Stick with organic everything! The more organic you eat, the better you’ll feel because you won’t be filling your belly with pesticides, chemicals, antibiotics and other hormones found in everything from yogurts to vegetables.
- Eat a healthy breakfast filled with protein, healthy fats and fiber!
- Replace processed foods with higher-quality whole foods. Swap margarine with Barlean’s Coconut Oil and toss canola and vegetable oils. Avoid hydrogenated oils, which are trans fats and are lurking in many of your foods under ‘other’ names on your ingredient lists!
- Reduce stress and find time to relax and step away from your computer screen to unwind. If I can do it in NYC- you can surely do it, too!
- Remove alcohol from your lifestyle.
- Drink filtered water with organic lemons and cucumbers with a dash of aloe vera juice.
- Avoid processed soy such as soy milk, edamame, most tofu and other soy products found in a box!
- Decide which foods you consume the most and prioritize. For instance, start eating organic as much as possible by starting with the foods you and your family eat most often.
- Add in prebiotic foods. Prebiotics help to nourish the good gut bacteria(probiotics) and help support digestive function. I take 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar every morning and night.
- Ask your doctor about taking probiotics. I take the Dr. Ohirra’s brand twice a day and I’ve seen great results from them.
It is essential to work with a nutritionist and an Integrative M.D. because I am sharing general information about probiotics based on my results from using them. This information is not intended to be medical advice. This content is only for informational purposes. Please consult your Integrative M.D. before starting any new supplements or probiotics.
Article Source: http://thehealthyapple.com/2013/06/05/what-is-a-probiotic/