How Reg’Activ® Formulas
Support & Strengthen Your Immune System
- Reg’Activ formulas featuring Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3 synthesize the antioxidants glutathione and manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD).i
- In human clinical trials, people taking ME-3 daily for 3 weeks exhibited a 20% reduction in 8-isoprostanes which is a biomarker of oxidative stress and free radical activity.ii
- People taking ME-3 also gained a 26% increase in Total Antioxidant Activity, due to increased glutathione recycling oxidized vitamin C, vitamin E, coenzyme Q10, etc.iii
Glutathione & Immune Function
Glutathione supports and strengthens the immune system in the following ways:
From: Glutathione and immune function. Proc Nutr Soc. Nov 2000;59(4).
- Intracellular glutathione levels have a profound effect on lymphocyte function. Lymphocytes are a class of white blood cells that play a central role in the immune system’s response to viruses and bacteria.
- Lymphocytes in healthy people have optimal glutathione levels
- Lowered immune function in many diseases is associated with glutathione deficiency
From: Glutathione and infection. Biochem Biophys Acta. May 2013;1830(5).
- Glutathione regulates function of cells in both innate & adaptive immune system
- Glutathione confers protection against microbial, viral and parasitic infections
- Glutathione enhances activity of Natural Killer (NK) cells & T-cells
Glutathione: Viral Infections & Lung Diseases
Many viral infections attack the lung, causing respiratory distress. In serious cases, this can progress to requiring the use of respirators or ventilators. Lung diseases associated with glutathione deficiency include the following:
- Acute lung injury/acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Various bacterial & viral infections
- Toxicity of various foreign compounds (smoke, pollutants, acetaminophen)
From: Role of glutathione in immunity & inflammation in the lung. Int J Gen Med 2011.