ARTICLE SOURCE: https://sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095816691630266X
Health benefits of fermented foods: microbiota and beyond
Written by Maria L Marco, Dustin Heeney, Sylvie Binda, Christopher J Cifelli, Paul D Cotter, Benoit Foligné, Michael Gänzle, Remco Kort, Gonca Pasin, Anne Pihlanto
• Fermentation can enhance or alter nutritive and health-modulating properties of food constituents.
• Microbes in fermented foods introduce new compounds to the foods that are delivered to the gut.
• Many of the species found in fermented foods are phylogenetically related to probiotic strains.
• Fermented foods can be an important dietary source of live microorganisms.
• Microbes in fermented foods may contribute to human health in a manner similar to probiotics.