National Nutrition Month: Eat Right, Bite by Bite
National Nutrition Month, celebrated each year during March, focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
“Eat Right, Bite by Bite” and the overall message is that quality nutrition isn’t restrictive, but that small changes to diet can have a cumulative effect on health over time. Every healthy nutritional choice is a choice in the right direction! Let’s all help build a world where all people thrive through the transformative power of food and nutrition and get started with these useful tips:
- Emphasize Fruits & Veggies – Mix vegetables into your go-to dishes. Try spinach with pasta or peppers in tacos. Pack your child’s lunch bag with fruits and veggies.
- Start Small – Start off by trying whole grain foods instead of refrained (typically white) ones. Cut back on sugary drinks and solid fats (such as ice cream), and try a low-sodium or no-sodium alternative!
- Healthy Snacks – Try and differentiate occasional snacks such as cookies and everyday snacks such as carrots, orange slices, or nuts! Try and remember to pack these for easy consumption!
- Vary Your Diet – Eat a variety of healthy foods every day and make half your plate fruit and vegetables.
- Eat Breakfast – Start your morning with a healthy breakfast including lean protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Explore New Foods and Flavors – When shopping, select a fruit, vegetable, or whole grain that is new to you!
- Supplement with Knowledge – Even when eating all the right foods, a high-quality supplement is sometimes required for optimum health. Do your due diligence and only choose wholefood supplements backed by research.