Apr 25, 2017
Probiotics are an important part of health. Traditionally, we got our probiotics in fermented foods such as pickled veggies, and yogurts.
Modern society is losing fermented, cultured foods. Most pickled foods on the shelves are in a bath of vinegar and brine and not actually fermented. This is why it’s important to supplement our diets with live culture probiotics.
Why do we need probiotics?
Probiotics are good strains of bacteria that support health. They keep pathogens or “bad bacteria” in check. They also aid in digestion and nutrient absorption. If bad bacteria outnumber the good, infection, inflammation and disease are able to set in.
Having a good internal flora promotes hormonal balance and helps to make some of the essential vitamins needed by the body – A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, and biotin.
Our modern lifestyle can wreck havoc on the healthy bacteria in our gut. Antibiotic use, pesticides, processed food, caesarean sections, and an over-reliance on antimicrobial products, and stress have contributed to the dramatic depletion of healthy gut flora.
As I said above, we aren’t getting live-culture ferments in our modern diet and so it is up to us to add them.
This is where Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics come in
This proprietary blend is a naturally fermented formula that supports both the strains in the formula and the pre-existing flora in your gut. Using a combination of traditional Japanese fermentation techniques & modern technology, the original formula is fermented for three years using 12 strains of lactic acid bacteria cultured in a medium of nutritious vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, and seaweed. This supplies a complete system of prebiotics, enzymes, micro-nutrients, and organic acids for a naturally occurring support to ensure the population of good bacteria in your gut environment.
Strains included in Dr. Ohhira’s formula
• Bifidobacterium breve ss. breve – protects colon function, alleviates constipation, and reduces gas, bloating, and diarrhea. Additionally, it stimulates your immune system, inhibits E. coli, and suppresses the fungus Candida.
• Bifidobacterium infantis ss. infantis -better overall health, an active metabolism, and less discomfort after eating, helps produce the B vitamins.
• Bifidobacterium longum – helps reduce gastrointestinal discomfort caused by stress, reduce anxiety and possibly reduce the risk for colon cancer. The best feature of this particular probiotic is its ability to soothe irritation in the body.
• Enterococcus faecalis TH10 -destroys virulent and resistant microorganisms, may disrupt cancerous activity, strengthens the immune system.
• Lactobacillus brevis – boost immune system health, support heart health, encourage a balanced mood
• Lactobacillus acidophilus – helps with lactose intolerance, cardiovascular health, digestion, and immune health
• Lactobacillus bulgaricus – significant ability to stimulate the immune system, antitumor and anticancer effects, produce antibiotic and antiviral substances, have been reported to have anti-herpes effects as well.
• Lactobacillus casei ss. casei – supports a healthy immune system, promotes healthy cellular growth and normal apoptosis
• Lactobacillus fermentum – supports a healthy immune system and promotes nitrogen activation
• Lactobacillus helveticus ss. jagurti – supports a healthy immune system and promotes the body’s ability to maintain healthy cellular growth
• Lactobacillus plantarum – produces natural bacteriocins, which support a healthy immune system
• Streptcoccus thermophilus – supports production of the antioxidant SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE
All of this benefit in one little capsule twice daily.
I’m a probiotic girl. I drink fresh kefir daily and do fermented veggies in the summer. It’s kind of hard to distinguish results from probiotics unless you have gut issues that are noticeably resolved by taking probiotics.
However, I have been in this cycle of exhaustion for the past couple months. It started around Thanksgiving. I was getting so tired around 8:00 in the evening that I felt like taking a nap. Knowing I couldn’t take a nap that late I would push through feeling like I was going to fall over, getting very little done. I did from time to time take a nap that late in the day and it would mess my whole schedule. I was getting worried.
I have now been taking Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics for almost three weeks. Last week and this week I have not felt the exhaustion or need for a nap. I get more done in my day. It’s a huge relief!
So, I feel that I can report a boost in energy. It’s not like a stimulant type of boost. It’s a subtle, sustainable energy like balance has been created.
I spent the last three weeks taking only the probiotics so that I could be sure to notice any differences. Now that I have my answer, I have other Dr. Ohhira’s products to try!
Dr. Ohhira’s has set up a special promotion for Wishing Penny readers! http://bit.ly/2ksdSV5
Disclaimer: I received this product for free from Moms Meet (momsmeet.com), May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet blogger, I agree to use this product and post my honest opinion on my blog. The opinions posted are my own.